Fennel Scented Pappardelle
Baby Spinach, Kale, Butternut Squash, Maitake, Sage, Fiore del Sardo
This dish is a celebration of the final harvests of “The Back Forty”, our heirloom garden.
Butternut Squash 1 large
Maitake Mushrooms 2 #
Thyme, chopped 2 Tbl
Shallots, fine dice 4 ea.
Leeks, sautéed 1 cup
Garlic, chopped 3 cloves
Baby Kale 4 cups
Baby Spinach 4 cups
Sage, chiffonade 2 Tbl
Parsley, chiffonade 2 Tbl
Fiore del Sardo, grated ¼ cup
Butter 2 Tb
Olive Oil as needed
Truffle Oil, White 1 Tbl
Chicken or Vegetable Stock 2 cups
White Wine Optional
Salt & Pepper to taste
Yield approximately 2.5#
Flour 00 5 Cups
Eggs, Whole 6 large
Egg Yolks 6
Water, Cold 6 Tbl or as needed
Fennel Powder 2 Tbl
Salt 1.5 tsp
- Combine flour and fennel powder.
- Make a well in the flour and put the eggs, yolks and water in the center. Work in the flour gradually until it all comes together.
- Knead the dough for about 8 minutes on floured surface until it is no longer sticky.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest for 1 hour.
- Set pasta machine to widest setting and flatten out each piece of dough into a rectangle thin enough to fit through the opening in the pasta machine.
- Dust the dough with a little bit of fennel powder and flour. Run the dough through the machine. 2 times at each setting until you reach the last setting. Dust the sheet of dough with flour as needed.
- Cut the dough into rectangles about 8 inches long and then cut strips about ¾” wide. Don’t worry about being so precise in cutting. Random sizes=homemade.
- Have a pot of salted water at a hard boil and cook pasta for 2-3 minutes. This needs to be done at the point all other ingredients are ready. Pasta and greens are the last items into the pan.
*Dough can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
Roasted Butternut Squash
- Peel and dice squash, ¾” cubes
- Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper
- Roast at 350˚ for about 10 minutes, until tender
- Finely dice shallots, sauté in olive oil and butter, over low – medium heat, until translucent, remove from pan
- Increase heat to high, at 1 tbs oil and sauté mushrooms, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add shallots back to pan and chopped thyme, deglaze with a ¼ cup of stock or white wine.
- Set aside
- Cut leeks into ½ cubes, rinse very well in water.
- Over low-medium heat sauté leeks in butter, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside
- Over medium heat. Sauté garlic in olive oil, until golden. Add maitake mushrooms, leeks and butternut squash. Deglaze with stock.
- In a pot of boiling salted water cook pasta for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to pan. Toss.
- Add kale, spinach, sage and parsley and more stock if needed. Finish with a tsp of butter and a drizzle of truffle oil. Finally top with grated Fiore del Sardo (gorgeous sheep milk cheese from Sardinia)
- Buon Appetito!